Senior Finance Analyst
Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Our mission is simple: catalyze positive social change by building a stronger nonprofit sector fueled by talent abundance. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
About the Role and the Department
Catchafire’s Finance Team ensures the financial health of the entire organization through a multitude of avenues, including budgeting, forecasting, financial operations, and strategy.
As the Senior Finance Analyst, you will play a critical role, working closely with the rest of the Finance function on key activities and, at times, will be expected to work on special projects as relevant and suited to your unique skills.
At Catchafire, we feel that building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team culture is critical to our organization’s mission, and our vision of an empathetic, inclusive, and loving world. We are seeking individuals motivated to continue on this journey with us.
- Unwavering Attention to Detail while Juggling Multiple, Changing Priorities: You are meticulous and have excellent organizational skills. You are able to work fast without cluttering your desk or mind. You are efficient and organized, can take in a range of priorities and keep progress going on many fronts at once.
- Analytical and Structured Thinker: You are extremely logical, reasoned, and adept at discovering root causes and assumptions. You work methodically and enjoy creating effective systems and processes to help you and your team accomplish goals efficiently.
- Fast Study, Eager to Build & Scale Systems: You can synthesize large amounts of information quickly and have an intense hunger to learn. You are not afraid to try new solutions and are constantly driving improvements based on new information and learnings. The concept of agency in a professional environment is exciting to you, as is the process of building and maintaining systems.
- Growth Mindset: You do not have an ego, and you’re more interested in learning than being right. You are humble and see humility as a bedrock to being a great learner. You see the opportunity in developing, building, iterating, and improving the systems and solutions you employ.
- Collaborative: You work seamlessly with a wide range of teams in order to create relevant solutions. You are able to build buy-in from your teammates, elevate work across teams, and you are also adept at getting what you need from the many stakeholders involved in cross-functional work.
Responsibilities of the Senior Finance Analyst
- Become the expert on our financial operations and executing our day-to-day processes with a high bar of excellence
- Partnering with FP&A Manager to elevate & optimize Financial Operations systems to set them up for further scale
- Become an expert in the current expenditures of the company and own expense management, projections, and budget management at the functional level
- Collaborate on various financial analyses to guide decisionmaking for various stakeholders across the organization and to the executive team
- Manage our bookkeeper to timely and accurate bookkeeping, as well as a clean chart of accounts
- Build and maintain our internal processes and recordkeeping -- using Quickbooks, Expensify, Bill.com, and others -- and managing outside vendors, billing, and contracts
- Manage the financials of our partner nonprofit, Catchafire Foundation, and implement approaches to scale their operations
- Collaborate on and lead special projects strategic to the growth of the organization using collaborative tools such as Google suite and shared Excel spreadsheets
Experience / Background
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Progressive professional experience (perhaps 3-5 years) in an Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) role in a dynamic environment, startup environment, OR in the financial services industry
- You can build a wide variety of models, and have experience creating sophisticated financial forecasting and analytical models in Excel
- You are highly skilled at translating analysis into guidance for making business decision
- You have superb written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with or interest in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), and specifically how these concepts manifest in a professional setting
- We are open to a broad range of ways a candidate may have developed this experience, including but not limited to experience with organizationational DEI in a prior role, participating in DEI work and/or related trainings, etc.
- Experience OR interest in social entrepreneurship
How to Apply
If our values resonate with you, email your resume to [email protected]. Please specify "Senior Finance Analyst" in the subject, and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- What excites you about joining the Finance team at Catchafire?
- What’s something you’re passionate about?
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19.
We are open to candidates who are not located in New York City, but are located near a major airport and willing to travel regularly once it is safe to do so. We will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.